TIN CANS, TOOLS, PAPER & TORPEDOS
After settling in Dumbo after the Civil War, machinist E. W. Bliss opened his first shop in 1867. He continued to acquire property in the neighborhood until he owned the entire block bounded by Plymouth, Adams, John, and Pearl Streets. He built what is today 135 Plymouth (which is really a complex of three different buildings!), which became the headquarters of machine business. With over 186,500 square feet of interior manufacturing space, the list of items the Bliss company manufactured was long, and included all sorts of sheet metal products, tools, tin cans and packages, car parts and even, for a while, torpedos. In fact, the building complex included a “factory within a factory” – accessible via gangways – and designed to contain any accidental explosions! Bliss died in 1903, and his company carried on for another three decades. The building went on to house the The Waring Envelope Company, a paper recycling Today, 135 Plymouth is a mixed use space, and soon to be home to the 60th branch of the Brooklyn Public Library.